Sunday, May 27, 2007

Columbo vs. Lansbury

Alright, there was a truly random conjunction of thoughts in my head. A reference was made to Columbo, in the movie Snake Eyes, this caused me to watch re-runs in my head of the one episode I remembered watching. Detective work spawned another recall loop where I remembered the one episode of Murder She Wrote which I remember watching. All of this then collided with my ever-present questions about manhood.

I don't remember either show that well, but I think its safe to say that Columbo solved his case by badgering the witness and other direct methods. On the other hand, Angela Lansbury (sp?) solved her case by coordinating many tiny pieces of information from various interviews and other, more indirect, methods. I believe this is a distinction between men and women. Men are more direct and aggressive. As a holy example, I think of St. Peter always charging to the front and opening his mouth even if he looks immensely silly. Women are more indirect and receptive. As another holy example, I think of St. Therese of Lisieux always listening and serving even those who she did not love.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting analogy, but where do we put Ellery Queen and St. Joan of Arc?

Patrick Archbold said...

Columbo Rules!
That little town in Maine(?) had more murders per capita than D.C. I think Angela Landsbury was behind it all.

Besides, Columbo was always polite. "pardon me, I'm sorry, one more question" Very nice.