Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Bedtime Songs

I have always wondered what people did for bedtime songs. I love singing and I was even on pitch once or twice and it seems a traditional way to calm down a child. However, I have always wanted to have my own songs to sing instead of just using the same ones my parents did. We first chose "Amazing Grace" since I figured it was useful to have a song which the grandparents and other babysitters would know. I also wanted Maria to know some of her Protestant heritage and songs seemed appropriate.

Even before official bedtime songs, I was singing "When You Dream" by the BareNaked Ladies to Maria when I changed her diapers. I wanted to learn "Goodnight, My Angel" by Billy Joel but it was too forced. I just don't like it enough. Recently, I've been trying to add more to the repertoire so that I don't have to sing the same thing every night. A future seminarian, who shall remain nameless, gave me the idea of singing "His Cheeseburger" from VeggieTales. This is the only Silly Song which I know by heart and it is also the only one which is quiet enough to induce sleep. I just don't see "The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything" leading to sleep.

Any suggestions?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I usually opt for the modern "Hail Mary" or traditional "Ave Maria" D went through a phase of loving Tantum Ergo. And then of course there's always "Lord of the Dance"

How about the veggie tales SUV song. Thats a great love song.

Anonymous said...

JimmyV-

Tantum Ergo is a great idea. I really want to learn the words by heart since I keep confusing the first and second verses if I don't have a missal in front of me.

Thanks

Anonymous said...

In addition to the songs that Sophie mentioned, Dominic loves "Amen," which the easy lyrics of "Amen. Amen. Amen. Amen. Amen." with optional lyrics like, "Sing it over" and "Alleluia". Sidney Poitier sings this in the 1963 film Lilies of the Field. An excellent film, by the way.

Also I "sing",

Colour My World (Pankow) from Chicago II by Chicago. A sample can be heard here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000069KE0001010/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_010/102-1017704-0728129

and

I Live My Life for You (Leverty/Snare) from Firehouse 3 by Firehouse. A sample can be heard here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B0000029CG001010/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_010/102-1017704-0728129


The Lord's Prayer has also work out for me. I've heard of people delving into Lynyrd Skynyrd's catalog, though that has never really appealed to me.

Anonymous said...

JimmyV said:

Maybe I should find appropriate Weird Al. It is hard to find slow, calm songs that don't involve heart-rending agony.
"You Don't Love Me Anymore" comes to mind.

Anonymous said...

We're Anglicans and we sing an Anglican evening hymn called "The Day Thou Gavest, Lord, Is Ended."

It's beautiful, soothing and appropriate.

Jen said...

I also use "Hail Mary" or "Amazing Grace". I have a horrible time remembering lyrics though, so if I want something different I'll actually drag out my copy of the old Methodist hymnal and pick a favorite to two from there. I may also use my "Christian Prayer" book and pick songs from there (but having not been raised Catholic I don't know as many of them).

I also love to put on an Nora Jones CD and sing along.