Wednesday, March 21, 2007

All the King's Men

An excellent new apostolate has started here in Pennsylvania, The King's Men. They gave a talk about how to be a real man on my Men's Retreat at The Malvern Retreat House.

"What is a real man?" is a question that has plagued me since my re-evangelization in college. I have a wealth of examples in my own earthly life, including my father and the headmaster of my high school, Fr. Shea. I also have the heavenly examples of Jesus Christ, St. Francis of Assisi, and St. Joseph. However, I am a very cerebral person and, while examples are illuminating, I need words and ideas to help understand manhood. This is where The King's Men excelled. Their descriptions of masculinity jibe with everything I feel is right. Their presentation uses powerful examples from Braveheart and Gladiator to good effect. They are from my generation and speak in a way that is easy for me to understand. Most importantly, their work is grounded in the Theology of the Body so it will change the world. I hope to learn more about them and to work with them in the future. Maybe they need an NFP consultant?

No comments: