Friday, April 10, 2009

No Pics here!

The Joy of Catholicism
A book review of "Holy Sex - A Catholic Guide to Toe-Curling, Mind-Blowing Infallible Loving"
by Dr. Gregory Popcak

I was intensely curious about this book, not only because of the edgy title, but because of a sincere desire to help devoted Catholics have excellent marital relations. Dr. Popcak covers the subject well, answering most reasonable questions and concerns about moral, marital intimacy along with some outliers. He gives a few examples of conflicts and how they can influence a couple's attitudes and feelings in regard to the most intimate aspect of their relationship. That is when the book is at its best, sharing real stories of practicing Catholics. The "Catechism" side, if you will. Unfortunately, the "Joy of Sex" side is a bit too explicit for my taste, though I imagine it is vastly more modest than anything in the Relationship section of my local Barnes & Noble. For a difficult subject, Dr. Popcak did a good job but this still isn't quite the book I was hoping to find. However, I gained enough valuable insight to have no doubt that his next book will make it to my shelf.

No comments: